Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Talents

After recently teaching a lesson on talents in Young Women, and reading the parable of the talents, I have been thinking about talents a lot! I have been thinking about the talents that I posses, and the talents Micah and the kids and the people around me posses. I have been praying about what my talents are(the ones I know about and the ones I haven't yet realized) and about how I can make them grow and be more useful.It's amazing how little you think about your own talents. I sat down and couldn't think of any talents I have. But then with more thought and prayer, I have been realizing how many I really do have. Here's a list of ones I have but would like to work on, as they aren't quite at the level I think they should or could be at:
1. Cooking. Something I enjoy, and something I think I am okay at. But I think that this only gets better the older I get and the more I have cooked.
2. Public Speaking. I have always enjoyed speaking to a crowd. I'm not afraid of that, and find it exhilarating.
3. Decorating. This is one of those things that I never would have thought about, but I realized that many people have told me they like my decor, ideas, etc... when it comes to decorating my home, so I figure this can be a talent.
4.Writing. I have always loved reading and writing, and find that writing is a great way to express myself and my feelings.(Like this blog!).
5. Drawing. Drawing has fallen by the wayside, but it's something I am going to try to pick up again. I used to draw all the time, and was one of the best(or so my teacher said) in a few of my college art classes. I especially enjoy charcoal drawing the best.
6. Reading. I'm not sure if this qualifies as an actual "talent," but a talent is something you are good at and other people may not be good at it, and I can read several books a week if I have the time(and other people may not be able to do this), so why not?
7.Cleaning. Yes, a long shot, but again, something I LOVE to do, and think I'm great at. I take pride in a clean and organized home, and get a high from it!  Also something that people comment on whenever they come to my home. They probably are just thinking I'm neurotic, but I'll take it as a compliment! Plus, I'd rather have them come to a clean home then be ashamed of a messy one.

Okay, I'm drawing a blank, but now here are a few talents I want to develop:

1. Guitar. I have a guitar, but have no clue how to make nice sounds come from it, just incessant awkward strumming noises. Not really music that anyone would(including myself) want to listen to, or even tolerate.
2. Sewing. This is something that I can do, but I would like to get a bit better at. I have been able to sew a few things without the help of a pattern, and I can alter clothing, etc...but I would like to be an excellent seamstress, not just a so-so one.
3. Photography. I have a beautiful new camera, and want to learn to use it to it's full extent. I want to create some beautiful photos, and have people oooh and ahhh over my photo taking abilities.

So that is it...want to help me add to my list?

No comments: